Tondee's Tavern is a locally-owned restaurant and bar housed in a former 1850's bank building at 7 E. Bay Street. It is named for one of Savannah’s earliest and most successful taverns, which was located at the corner of Broughton Street and Whitaker Street between 1770 and 1785. Savannah's Sons of Liberty, an early American group of patriots and soldiers, met there regularly. Legend has it that the Declaration of Independence was read aloud in Georgia for the first time at this infamous 18th-century establishment.
For more on the original Tondee's Tavern and it's highly regarded owner, Peter Tondee, see the following historical accounts:
Georgia Historical Society: Peter Tondee
Savannah Morning News: The Life and Times of Peter Tondee
The New Georgia Encyclodpedia: Peter Tondee (ca. 1723-1775